Orthodontist and Periodontist
Dr. Marianna Evans is a full-time practicing orthodontist, periodontist and dental implant surgeon. She is a diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology and American Board of Orthodontics. Her interdisciplinary training and years of clinical experience allow her to see the interconnectivity of gum disease, malocclusion and skeletal function in a way few specialists can. Dr. Evans was also a Clinical Associate at The University of Pennsylvania Department of Orthodontics from 2010-2016 and a Consulting Scholar at The University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology from 2016-2019 where she conducted research on jaw development in humans of the pre-industrial era. She also developed several orthopedic protocols and plastic surgical techniques within her specialties, frequently lectures on orthodontics, periodontics and dental implants both within the United States and around the world.
Locally, Dr. Evans is founder of the OrthoPerio Institute, an advanced education study club that provides courses on developments in dentistry to both clinicians and their staff. Courses are given on all surgical aspects of periodontics, implant dentistry and orthodontics. Unique to the Institute, courses include case study presentations with special emphasis on clinical treatment planning.
The focus of her treatment approach is to create harmony between facial beauty and healthy dentition. Her experience shows that the right diagnoses and treatment of malocclusion in young patients can eliminate the need for surgical and restorative intervention in later years, and even the extraction of teeth. Minimally invasive periodontal plastic surgery is the way of the future and Dr. Evans is expert in bone and cosmetic gum grafting. She also specializes in implant therapy, orthopedic palatal expansion in children and adults, orthodontics for adults and children, diagnosis and management of jaw deficiencies in patients with sleep apnea/SDB, congenitally missing and impacted teeth as well as TMD treatment.
- University of Pennsylvania Highest Research Award, "Sensitivity of CBCT Images to Identify Buccal Crest around Teeth: A Dry Skull Study."
- Summa Cum Laude, Moldova National University of Medicine
- Presidential Scholarship, Dental Association of Ukraine
Publications and Presentations
- Marianna Evans, Kevin Morine, Cyelee Kulkarni and Elisabeth Barton, Physiological Genomics 35:86-95, 2008. First published 1 July 2008; doi:10.1152/physiolgenomics.00232.2007, "Expression profiling reveals heightened apoptosis and supports fiber size economy in the murine muscles of mastication."
- "Cone-Beam 3D Imaging in Periodontal and Orthodontic Practice," University of Pennsylvania
- "Comprehensive Orthodontic Management of the Periodontally Compromised Dentition," Prometech Orthodontic Center for Continuing Education, Ukraine
- "Esthetic Consideration in Periodontal Surgery," Maximus Dental Center for Continuing Education, Ukraine